Easter Hazards for Your Pet

There are a few common Easter items that are dangerous for your pets. Their risk of damage ranges from gastrointestinal illness to death depending on the item, the size of the pet and the amount that is consumed.

  1. Chocolate

This is the most common call we get around holidays, especially Easter. As the cocoa content of the chocolate rises as does the risk of toxicity to your pet. Depending on the size of your pet they may only have to consume a small amount of dark chocolate before illness and death are possible. For example: a 10lb dog that consumed only 1 ounce of chocolate that contains 86% cocoa would be at risk of death if not treated promptly. If the same dog consumed 1 ounce of milk chocolate they would likely have only mild vomiting or diarrhea.

  1. Plastic Easter Grass or Eggs

The risk with basket fillers is the potential to cause an obstruction in the stomach or intestines. If this occurs, surgery may be necessary to remove the item. If obstructions are not removed promptly complications such as bacterial infection or intestinal puncture may occur.

  1. Plants especially Easter Lilies

Many plants can cause issues if they are consumed by pets. This time of year Easter lilies are the most common offender.  If your cat consumes any part of these plants they may have gastrointestinal upset or damage to their kidneys.

The ASPCA has a search tool for poisonous plants here:


Other items that may cause problems for your furry family members are raisins, macadamia nuts, grapes, fruits with pits and xylitol. For a more complete list of potentially hazardous foods follow the link


If your pet has consumed something they shouldn’t have please call the clinic at (306) 373-3500 or the Veterinary Medical Centre at WCVM (306)966-7126 if the ingestion occurs after hours.


Written by Kaila Montogmerie, RVT